The tent theatre cemetery
Thousands of liberated prisoners died of the effects of their imprisonment at the provisional emergency hospital. A cemetery for these victims was established at the barracks. Because there was a large tent nearby which was used for theatre performances, the British army referred to the cemetery as the “theatre tent cemetery”. Until the end of 1945, around 4,000 Jews and gentiles from many different countries were buried there. The dead from the Polish (until summer 1946) and Jewish DP camps were also buried in this cemetery until 1950. The site is no longer in its original state. Most of the wooden grave markers decayed and were not replaced. However, in contrast to the mass graves in the grounds of the former camp, the locations of many individual graves have been identified in the cemetery at the barracks.